Tell HN: Getting Ready for Unemployment

Hacker News

Realest
Reaction score
BC
฿0
Dividends
Quit a low-paying C++ job (which was a horrible mistake) and now being unemployed for god knows how long.
So far, every single company I applied for, rejected my job application. (Told me that they found a person better qualified than me.)
Some weeks have passed, I didn't find anything new. Have large amounts of debt and barely any savings.
I am exhausted and stressed to the point where I am already thinking about "taking the easy way out". Those rejections hit hard and the fact that I am not qualified enough (as they told me), just makes me question my existence even more.
It seems like I am going to be unemployed for a while. I don't know when this war will end and whether they want to nuke the Northern Hemisphere away or not.
However, I know, I am not alone in this and god knows how many people have it worse than me. The uncertainty for me (and probably for many others) is really hard to endure.
So maybe I shouldn't be exhausted or depressed as I am right now. Maybe I should learn things and get distracted in these uncertain times.
Naval Ravikant suggests you to learn math. Math and physics happens to be a hobby of mine. Currently, (re-)studying linear algebra and analysis in R^n (multivariable calculus). Those 2 areas in math interest me the most and I enjoy studying them. Other than that, I like to watch physics lectures from Walter Lewin. Trying to learn some Japanese with Genki.
All that is "useless", but at least they bring me joy, and they distract me enough from this harsh economic reality.
On the other hand, I can learn something "useful" for whatever the job market demands of me. As being mostly a C and C++ dev won't cut it for me anyway. However, I simply don't feel like it.
Yeah, so I tried (looking for jobs), I failed (getting a new job), and now it looks like I need to come in terms with my unemployment and the fact that the world tanks right now. Trying to do something "useful" in the meantime...
Signing off.

Comments URL: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=33199602

# Comments: 11

Continue reading...

• :)
  • :trolljak:
  • :yb:
  • :thumbsupsoyjak
  • :meds:
  • :cigar:
  • :soy4:
  • :babysoyjak: