Bobby Shmurda Explains Why He’d Rather Have A Pop Smoke Verse Than One From Jay-Z

UPROXX

Real
Reaction score
BC
฿0
Dividends

Getty Image

Of all the various locales that have been pivotal to the overall dominance and growth of hip-hop over the past three decades, it’d be hard to argue against Brooklyn as the genre’s number-one force. It’s the birthplace of acts like the Juice Crew, The Notorious B.I.G., Lil Kim, and many folks’ GOAT, Jay-Z. However, it turns out that one of the borough’s residents has a different view of the lattermost name, preferring a more recent Brooklynite as his dream collaborator.

During a recent appearance on DJ Akademiks’ Off The Record podcast, Bobby Shmurda explained why he’d rather collaborate with late Pop Smoke than the all-time great Jay-Z (who recently had Bobby out to his 40/40 club to celebrate its anniversary). Akademiks presented the two options to Bobby, positing that “the hood gonna go crazy for” a Pop Smoke collaboration or “a song with Hov.” Without hesitation, Shmurda replied, “Pop Smoke,” taking the host aback with his on-point impression of Pop’s booming bass voice and memorable ad-libs. “I love Jay too, but I like it,” he said.

It’s no surprise; despite his familiarity with rap fans thanks to the 2014 smash “Hot N****,” Bobby is only 27 — much closer to Pop Smoke’s 20 years than Jay’s 52(!). It makes sense he’d be much more tapped into Pop Smoke’s contemporary approach than any of Jay’s latter-day output — let alone his 10, 15, and 20-year-old classics, the oldest of which would have dropped when Bobby was just seven(!!).

Unfortunately, it looks like only one will ever be available for the newly-independent rapper, who drops his first post-Epic Records single this Friday. Hopefully, Jay won’t take this news too personally if Bobby ever decides to reach out for that verse.

Continue reading...

Users who are viewing this thread

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…