Ask HN: Why Adobe still can’t figure out Flash on WASM?

Hacker News

Realest
Reaction score
BC
฿0
Dividends
Figma was just bought by Adobe, we all know that. Word "Adobe" brought back to me the memories of early days of my career when I was a Macromedia/Adobe Flash developer and I was working on websites very heavyweight both graphically and animation-wise.
In 2022 we have SVG, WebGL, canvas, sound API and we can practically rebuild many of those Flash websites. They were accessibility disasters, but today we can do much better.
All this makes me think: why Adobe haven't finished yet Flash export to HTML5/WASM which is easy and popular? What's stopping them? Money or technical obstacles? I can imagine the targeting all the browsers both desktop and mobile and QAing all of that is hard, but feels like doable and web platform is pretty reliable these days?
And the final question: can people from Figma help Adobe to make Flash actually work? Figma is one of the best WASM/WebGL apps out there which (I presume) very experienced engineering team. I've read the blog post when they were running JS interpreter compiled to WASM in a web worker to create secure sandbox used as plugin environment. All of it just works. Can they help?

Comments URL: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=32898210

# Comments: 24

Continue reading...

• :)
  • :trolljak:
  • :yb:
  • :thumbsupsoyjak
  • :meds:
  • :cigar:
  • :soy4:
  • :babysoyjak:
  • :blacksoyjak: