News WATCH LIVE: Closing arguments begin in battery trial of BSO deputy

WPLG

Realest
Reaction score
BC
฿0
Dividends
Closing arguments are being held Friday in the battery trial of Broward Sheriff’s Office Deputy Jorge Sobrino who was captured on camera punching a man who was handcuffed to a hospital bed.

Sobrino, 24, took the stand in his defense Thursday.

“He lifts his left arm up. He places it on my upper torso and he begins to push against me,” Sobrino said adding, “In my perception, he was again becoming aggressive and violent. I delivered one strike to him in order to defeat his resistance and that one strike was successful.”

Video captured Sobrino punching David O’Connell on Jan. 2, 2019, while at Broward Health North.

O’Connell testified on Wednesday. He said he met Sobrino when he was arrested at a Walmart in Pompano Beach. Witnesses accused him of trying to get into a fight with a Walmart employee.

O’Connell said he was afraid of Sobrino and raised his arm to keep him from striking him again.

“I was defending myself,” O’Connell said.

The video shows O’Connell taunting Sobrino. He shouted expletives and said, “What? You’re going to beat my a** again?”

BSO has employed Sobrino since Jan. 12, 2015. They opened up an internal investigation once the video came to light.

If convicted, Sobrino faces a maximum punishment of a year in jail.

Continue reading...

Users who are viewing this thread

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…