News Florida prioritizes 1st monkeypox vaccine dose amid insufficient supply

WPLG

Realest
Reaction score
BC
฿0
Dividends
Florida health officials said Tuesday that they will be prioritizing the first dose of the two-dose monkeypox Jynneos vaccine until they receive more from the federal government. The doses are spaced 28 days apart.

The announcement comes as U.S. health officials authorized distributing one-fifth of the full dose to turn the 440,000 doses into more than 2 million small doses with a shallow injection that penetrates only the top layer of the skin.

In Broward County, Jason Parsley was among a group of residents who received their second dose on Tuesday at the Pride Center in Wilton Manors before the rationing of the vaccine went into effect.

“I feel great! I believe in vaccines and I think it’s so important to get as many vaccines as we can to protect not only ourselves but the public at large,” Parsley said.

Florida followed San Francisco, New York, Canada, and The United Kingdom where officials also opted for prioritizing the first dose of the vaccine.

President Joe Biden’s administration declared a public health emergency last week, as areas in the U.S. where the virus is fast spreading faced an insufficient vaccine supply.

Doug Rogers received his first shot on Tuesday in Wilton Manors and left with a card hand marked with the date that he needs to return for his second dose.

“Knowing the community and knowing it’s out there, I think it’s a good idea to take the precaution,” Rogers said.

Continue reading...

Users who are viewing this thread

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…