Traveling FAQ

KJ

Class Conscious
Reaction score
BC
฿4,190
Dividends

Most Frequently Asked Questions​

Below are some of the most frequently asked questions on /r/travel (and /r/flights):

Flights and Airlines​

Can I buy a flight A–B–C and only fly the A–B leg?​

This is known as “hidden-city ticketing”. Doing this is against the contracts of carriage for most airlines, but it is possible. However, do note the following caveats:

• If A-B-C is actually just A-B-A (a round-trip), then this is called throw-away ticketing. You can definitely just fly the A-B leg and not fly the return leg B-A.
  • Once you miss the B–C flight, any remaining flights on that itinerary are cancelled. So this would only work on a one-way flight, or on the return journey of a round-trip ticket.
  • Ideally, you should only travel with carry-on bags. Bags will usually be tagged all the way through to the final destination City C, making it hassle to pick up bags at City B. Note that there are times when you would need to retrieve bags at City B anyway (e.g. in countries, like Japan, Canada, and the U.S., where you must clear customs at the first airport). Alternatively, on very long layovers, you may be able to ask the airline to “short-check” your bags.
  • The airline has the right to reroute you away from City B. If, for example, your A–B flight has been severely delayed or canceled, they might reroute you through another City D (A–D–C), skipping your desired Destination B altogether.
  • You will need to meet any entry requirements for City C. For example, if you are flying from Toronto to Moscow via Frankfurt, you must still have a Russian visa (or meet Russian entry requirements) even if you plan to disembark at Frankfurt; otherwise, you may be denied boarding in Toronto.
  • If you have an interruption of greater than 24 hours at B, you will have to pick up checked bags anyway, and the airline will not reroute you away from B as it is considered a stopover, not a layover. Further, entry requirements for C would likely not be checked at A (rather, only B would be checked) in this scenario.

Can I buy a flight A–B–C and only fly the B–C leg?​

No, you cannot. Once you miss the A–B flight, the remainder of your itinerary is cancelled.

What if A–B and B–C are on separate airlines?​

Still no.

When is the best time to book flights?​

It’s not an exact science. Studies suggest the best time to book is between three and ten weeks prior to departure, but this is not always true, especially during the Christmas and New Year’s holiday season.

See the guide to airfare search engines for more information.

I recently booked a flight, and the price went down. Is there a way to recoup the difference?​

Since the start of the pandemic, some airlines have made their fares less restrictive. Resultingly, on some airlines, even at cheaper fares, there may be no fees for changing flights. Although you would be responsible for the price difference on a higher-priced flight, this would also mean that you could change your flight to a lower-priced one and recoup the difference as a credit. Note some airlines do not permit you to "change" to the exact same flights and recoup the difference.

Further, some online travel agencies, and some airlines were certain countries’ laws (e.g. in the U.S.), may allow a grace period of about 24 hours, during which flights may be cancelled without penalty.

I booked a flight and it has a layover of [insert time here]. Is that enough time to transfer?​

The airline is not going to allow you to book a connection you cannot possibly make. It may not be ideal, and it may not leave you much time to saunter, but it should be enough time assuming an on-time arrival of your inbound flight. If there are delays that cause you to miss your connection, the airline(s) will re-accommodate you.

Note that this advice only applies to flights bought on a single ticket, i.e. as one transaction. When booking a journey as two or more separate tickets, you may be on your own (e.g. responsible for any change fees) if you miss your connection.

What happens when I fly on multiple airlines?​

With these types of questions, the more important factor is whether you are on separate tickets. Many airlines partner with other airlines, especially for long-distance travel.

On a single ticket, except in very uncommon circumstances, what you will do at every layover point is exactly what you'd do if you were on the same ticket. You'd only check in once, although you may need to retrieve and recheck bags somewhere where customs is required. Baggage allowances and fees would be based on the entire journey put together.

Gaps of greater than 24 hours will break up your journey and require you to retrieve any bags and check-in separately.

My first and middle names show up smushed together or Mr, Ms, or Mrs is appended to my name on my ticket or boarding pass. What do I do?​

Nothing. This a normal way for names to appear on flight documents. No one will be confused by the missing spaces.

OP
KJ

KJ

Class Conscious
Reaction score
BC
฿4,190
Dividends

Visas and Passports​

Do I need a visa to transit...?​

Most countries do not require travelers to have a visa for an international transit where you do not leave the secure area of the airport (known as an airside transit). However, there are exceptions to this rule for some nationalities, most notably for the United States, Canada, the UK, and the Schengen Area. For the U.S. and Canada, if you require a visa or electronic authorization to enter the country, you will need one to transit. For the UK and the Schengen Area, there are nationalities that require a visa to enter, but don't require one to transit. The UK has a wizard to confirm whether a visa is required (for transit, or any other purpose). The EU maintains a list of nationalities that require visas for airside transits at any Schengen airport as well as a list of nationalities that require visas for airside transits at some Schengen airports. Note that there be exceptions to the transit visa requirement for holders of residence permits or visas to certain other countries.

In all cases, if you do not need a visa to enter a country, you won't need one to transit airside. (See Do I need a visa to go to...? above.)

Can I leave the airport during a layover?​

As long as you meet the entry requirements for the country, you are generally permitted to leave the airport. In the vast majority of cases, if you need a visa to enter the country for a multi-day tourist visit, you will need one for even a couple hours' layover there. However, some countries (e.g. China) will give exceptions for transiting passengers of some nationalities.

I'm a dual citizen. How do I use two different passports on my travels?​

The key is to show check-in the passport you want to use at your destination, and to always show exit immigration (if it exists) the passport you used when entering.

For example, say you are flying round-trip from Paris to Beijing (and back), and are a dual UK–Ecuadorean citizen. You used your UK passport to enter France (and want to use it again to enter France), and you want to use your Ecuadorean passport to enter China.

• When departing Paris, show the airline your Ecuadorean passport. They are satisfied that you meet entry requirements for China (since Ecuadorean citizens don't need Chinese visas for short stays).
  • When clearing exit immigration in Paris, produce your UK passport, which was the passport used to enter France.
  • When arriving in Beijing, show the Ecuadorean passport, which again does not require a visa for a short stay in China.
  • When departing Beijing, show the airline your UK passport. They are satisfied that you meet entry requirements for France (since UK citizens don't need French visas).
  • When clearing exit immigration in Beijing, produce your Ecuadorean passport, which was the passport used to enter China.
  • When arriving in Paris, produce your UK passport, which again does not require a visa for France.
Note that some countries may require their citizens, even if they have other nationalities, to enter their country using the passport of that country.

I am a U.S. citizen. Do I need a passport to go to Canada?​

Short answer: Yes.

When arriving by land or sea, Canada only requires U.S. citizens to provide proof of citizenship, which can include just a birth certificate, along with photo ID. However, since at least 2009, adults entering the U.S. have been required to present a valid passport, U.S. passport card (by land or sea only), Enhanced Driver’s License (also by land or sea only), card for a Trusted Traveler Program (e.g. NEXUS or Global Entry), or some other document showing citizenship and identity; a birth certificate is no longer sufficient.

When travelling by air, you will be prevented from boarding without proper documentation. If traveling overland, you may be permitted re-entry to the U.S. if your identity and U.S. citizenship can be verified.

I have changed my name on my driver's license, but my U.S. passport is still in my maiden name. Is this going to be an issue while traveling?​

Your driver's license is only relevant while driving. In virtually all other cases, all that matters is your passport, which is your ultimate form of ID. As long as reservations (flights, hotels, etc.) match the name on your passport, you should be fine.

Traveling in the US​

Do I need to show a negative COVID test or proof of vaccination to travel within the US?​

No, there are no requirements to show a negative COVID test or proof of vaccination for wholly domestic travel.

Can I use an American driver's license to fly domestically within the US? I heard you need a passport.​

Nothing has changed recently. US driver's licenses and state IDs are still accepted as ID for domestic travel, although you can use a passport if you prefer. Technically, if you show up without proper ID, provided your identity can be verified, you can still pass through security and board. Of course, ID requirements are different for international travel.

Under current rules, starting May 3, 2023, a REAL ID-compliant form of identification (e.g. a passport or a REAL ID-compliant license) will be required. Should a state's compliance extension expire before then (which is highly unlikely), that state's IDs may be deemed insufficient.

More information is available on the TSA's page regarding identification, which lists the acceptable forms of ID at security, and the Dept. of Homeland Security's page on REAL ID.

I lost or do not have ID. Can I still fly in the US?​

As stated on their website, TSA may allow you to fly without proper photo ID if it can verify your identity. Show up extra early with whatever documents, if any, you have that might assist with the process. They will use public information, such as your name and address, to confirm your identity. If your identity cannot be verified, you will not be permitted to continue flying.

Flying internationally without photo ID is typically not possible.

Other International Travel​

How long can I stay in/when can I return to the Schengen Area?​

Those of nationalities eligible to enter the Schengen Area without a visa may stay no more than 90 days in any 180-day period. There is no date when the 180-day period “resets”; you must consider any and all 180-day periods to ensure you are not in violation of the visa-free policy.

See the Schengen page on the FAQ for more information.

How do I get cash in other countries?​

The best approach is generally to just use an ATM/debit card to withdraw money from ATMs. Speak to your home bank to ask them what fees, if any, they charge for foreign withdrawals. Many banks will change somewhere between 0–3% for foreign transactions and potentially a flat fee (sometimes in addition to that percentage) for ATM withdrawals. You may be able to save on fees if your bank has partner banks abroad. There are also credit cards with no foreign transaction fees – i.e. no fees on purchases abroad or in other currencies. Be sure to alert your banks and credit card companies of your foreign travel so they don't block your cards on suspicion of fraud.

If you must exchange cash, note that airports generally offer very poor exchange rates. Also, when exchanging between a very common currency (e.g. USD, GBP, or EUR) and a much less common currency, it's usually wise to do so in the country of the much less common currency. Of course, you might somehow find good rates in your home country (unless your home country is the United States), so do your research. Or just use an ATM/debit card.

See this primer for suggestions on recommended bank accounts and credit cards for international travel. For Americans, Charles Schwab’s checking account is frequently noted for having no foreign transaction fees and refunds on ATM fees.

How do I use my phone abroad?​

Check your home wireless provider to see what international plans they offer. Some companies will provide decent international plans, especially for short-term stays, or have arrangements in specific countries that give you access to data, calls, and/or texts and reasonable rates.

However, if your phone is unlocked, it will likely be cheaper to buy SIM cards in the destination country or countries. Take a look at the prepaid SIM wiki to see what options may be available to you at your destinations. Getting a prepaid SIM for short-term use is possible in most countries, although the ease of acquiring it may vary. In some countries, you need to show your passport and go to specific stores, while other countries permit you to just pick up SIM cards at convenience stores.

If traveling to multiple European countries, note that EU regulations mean that most SIMs from EU and EEU countries will work in other such countries without incurring additional roaming charges. More information about the regulation is provided on the SIM wiki on a dedicated page and in individual country articles for particular mobile providers.

Especially with older phones, be sure to confirm that your phone will work on willmyphonework.net.

I'm young and wanting to travel for the first time, any advice?​

Yes. Please see this past Megathread for all types of advice for Young Travelers.

Are there too many stops on my Europe trip itinerary?​

Yes.

fukurou

Trainee
Reaction score
BC
฿2
Dividends
the walkthrough may vary for different countries and other variables

1 basic information to take with you :
emergency numbers, embassy address and phone
basic items to take with you :
get all your documents scanned (visas, e-tickets, passports) and keep copies with friends and
online.

a compass and maps (city and transport information) this you can also get at train stations
and hotels.

2 a passport : here is an example of getting it :
from the Ministry of Interior (Population Registry) get a passport (you need : ID,
2 passport pics, an application form (can be gotten online or at the ministery of
interior). you will need to get a new passport if it's pages are all stamped or
after 10 years or so, you will need to update it via Population Registry. while
abroad there are tourist information centers (also in hotels) that can explain
how to get on factory tours, company data, phone numbers...

if you lose your passport abroad :
1.if you think you will miss your flight Report the problem to your airline.
2.1.remember the document you copied? they will help you in the following :
Report to the police and get a police report.
2.2.if your money was stolen you could ask a friend to wire you via western union
(in the post office). you might need about 60$ for the embassy to reissue you a temporary
passport and stuff.
3.Visit your country's embassy or consulate and get help (a new or temporary passport to
return to your country).

3 visa :
the visa is a recommendation made by the consulate to the immigration office and gives the
specific status of work ,residence, travel etc.
a visa, which is issued, by the embassy or consulate, of the destenation country (in
the traveler's country) shown with a passport quarentees the recipient entry to the
country for a set amount of time. some countries have bilateral agreements, so that
they do not require a visa to be issued for travel and to stay there for a set amount
of time without a visa.

4 weather adapted clothes :

there are specialty shops that sell adapted clothing for example: for skiing.

5 helpful travel items :

in the post office you can get :
an international sim card, or you can buy a local sim card for travelers (from abroad).
ask if the card would work in the destination.

disposable credit card.

6 flight :

the flight ticket is purchased from an airline company (in the airport or via
a website or a branch store) or via a travel agency. nowadays you have your
passport function as a ticket.

some destinations require 2 flights, the 2nd flight is called a flight connection.
you want to leave plenty of time between the flights (4 - 6h and pay attention to
time differences) and the flight connection(if are), and book the return flights
with the onward flights at any case.

as I understand : Airlines, generally don't assume responsibility for missed
connections on two separate airline company tickets.

if you missed the flight connection through no fault of your own, the airline should
rebook you on the next flight, which, if it takes off much later, you may be compensated
for meals or accommodations, unless the delay was caused by weather (in this case you
might not be companseted for meals or accommodations, only for the flight).

check in : this is the acquiring of a boarding pass from the airline, which is the
permission to board the airplane for a particular flight, it identifies the passenger
, departure time, and flight number.
__option A : buy the ticket online (this is called an e-ticket) then check in online
and print the boarding pass or have it sent to your email or smart phone as an SMS
(some screen capture the pass and display the picture with the smart phone as the
boarding pass). there are also apps that do this and display the boarding pass.

__option B : buy a paper airline ticket, you will get your boarding pass in the airport
when you enter your airline's check in from a clerk or print it from a self service kiosk
at the airport, and the 2 documents will be required to be attached.
boarding passes are issued about 24 hours before theire flight.

Baggage Claim : you take very small baggage with you the rest you leave at check in and
collect it after each flight. if you can not find your luggage wait then report it in the
check in.

flying stand by : if you have want to change to an earlyer flight : in the check in
request stand by, then if seats are available.

7 the travel :
if you search : country name travel guide you can find detailed
explanations about travel locations and how to get there, also you get such info
from hotels and the tourist information center, which may be found also in the airport.

• +1
Reactions: KJ
  • :)
  • :trolljak:
  • :yb:
  • :thumbsupsoyjak
  • :meds:
  • :cigar:
  • :soy4:
  • :babysoyjak:
  • :blacksoyjak:
  • :wepa: